Saturday, April 2, 2011

glimpses of motherhood

Tiffany at simplymodernmom has set out to capture little glimpses of motherhood, all while perfecting her photography skills. And she's invited us all to join along! I love everything about this idea. And I've been thinking that I need to get back into photography... seems like a perfect opportunity, right?!

But first, back up a bit. 
Before we were married, my husband and I were really into taking photos. We took pictures almost daily and I'm so thankful for the wealth of reminders we have today from that special time. We each had an assortment of cool lenses and manual SLR cameras. SLR film cameras that is. We took photography and darkroom courses together and managed to get a few prints published in the local paper I worked for at the time. We didn't have a lot of money then but what little we had was spent on camera equipment. Good times.

Then it happened.
Our huge investments became obsolete. Digital photography replaced film and our favourite photolab closed down. It was the end of an era. And pretty much the end of 'manual' photography for me.

Just over a year ago we saved up and bought a digital SLR camera. We chose a Nikon so that we could still use some of our old school lenses (and they wouldn't be a total waste). My husband is a much faster learner than I am so he's been able to use the new camera much more to its potential than I have. I've just felt like I don't have the time, or the energy to relearn this again - especially when this new camera takes such wonderful pictures on the Auto setting. I've basically been using the camera as an expensive point-and-shoot. But I miss the photography. I miss taking really great photos.
So when I came across simplymodernmom's project 52, I decided to join in on the fun.


Project 52: Glimpse Into Motherhood


A weekly photo seems doable and by simply making it a goal, I'll likely be digging out that new SLR more often, and learning how to use it over several months.

So here it is, this week's submission:


boogaloo 2010

Observant readers will notice it's not a new photo - it was taken this past fall of my two boys. I'm submitting it to Project 52 because it's where I learned how to do fill flash with the new fancy shmancy camera. I love the effect that fill flash brings to so many pictures but don't remember to use it often enough.

Hey, my boys clean up pretty nice, eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...