Friday, May 6, 2011

a dress for barbie

Malcolm is attending a classmate's birthday party so I needed to come up with a gift. 
My favourite thing to give - especially to a child - is a book. But I wanted to include a little something for play as well. I was told the birthday girl loves anything Barbie, but I figured she likely has lots of Barbies already. 

Every girl likes a new dress every once in a while, right?
So here it is, Barbie's new outfit:




I searched the internet for a pattern and found this cute one here. I altered it a bit by skipping the straps (for a more formal look), and by stitching the back closed - about halfway up from the bottom. I stitched in just two snaps on the top (at the back) and made a rolled hem with my serger.

Of course, a girl never has enough accessories either so I made Barbie a handbag as well:


Barbie's Handbag



I didn't need a pattern (just eyeballed it). I made it out of leftover vinyl and some coordinating cotton fabric for the rosette. And voila.







Barbie is ready for a night on the town.


2 comments:

  1. If only I had of known!!
    I have a few dolly dress patterns that are about... 20 years old.. but still would be good for Barbie
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the handbag, I think I need one just like that for myself! Natalie;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...