Sunday, March 4, 2012

Something from Nothing

I recently made this little mouse for a friend.
She asked me to make something for her daughter from a pillow that had belonged to her grandmother. 




This project reminded me of one of my favourite children's books by Canadian author and illustrator Phoebe Gilman, called Something from Nothing.

Image Source
 
Every little boy should own a copy of this heartwarming book. It's the story of a grandfather re-working the fabric of a favourite blanket throughout the early years of the little boy's life.
 
I thought this project would be such a sweet gift from something of generations past.
 
The pillow was made of a fabric that frayed very easily so I decided to use just a bit of it to applique the belly and ear patches of the mouse, and let it do just that - fray. For the rest of the mouse I used quilting cotton in coordinating fabrics and filled it with the stuffing from the pillow.


Mabelle the Mouse

I made a little pinwheel quilt for the mouse. The button in the center was created with that special pillow fabric. And you'll have to read the book for the significance of the blanket and button :)

To make this mouse I used a pattern found in this adorable book, Sewn Toy Tales - by Melly & Me: 

Image Source
 Thanks for reading.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...